The day that I've met Jack Nicholson





THE HOTEL

From the car's window, I could see the trees on that tortuous rote, cutting the mountain, feeling the cold breath coming, hanging out my hair. I was so entertained with the view, looking for nowhere that I couldn't listen to the driver: "Madam, are you sure that you want to stay in this hotel?"

- Madam?
- Oh! Sorry! Yes, I answered. Why?
- Because it is out of the season and nobody goes there now.

I've breathed once more just thinking about our agent, who made this reserve. He assured us that would be work. It was out of the run but still open for some guests.


I jumped out of the taxi with my confidence. The driver helped me with the luggage, taking it out of the trunk. He glanced at me, stepped at the car door, wondering if I would change my mind.


The entrance was blocked by a St. Bernard, who was sleeping on the carpet in front of the doorway. I knocked on the door three times and waited to see if someone would open it. 


I heard footsteps coming from the distance, and I decided to dismiss the taxi driver, who disappeared behind the gate.


A man appeared to check on me. He was young, tall and thin, with sunken cheeks. His slender teeth showed up, which seemed to be a little smile when he gave me the keys.

- The dinner will be served at 8 pm, he noticed me.

I nodded and walked through the corridor at the end of the hall. The place was large, with high ceilings and several pictures of athletes dressing in their ski clothes. Ahead there was a display with trophies and medals. They were all smiling and seemed to be happy with their conquers.


I walked towards the big window, and I saw a big lake that was behind the hotel, not far from the high peaks used for sports in high season. I imagined that place full of people, sibilating with warming buzzing from the skis clinking.


The tic-tac from the round wall clock warned me that I didn't have so much time to take a shower and present myself in the dining room. 


THE DINNER ROOM


I arrived on time at 8:00 pm as the thin guy requested. The saloon was huge, but it was half disabled. The candles were flaming, forming silence figures trembling with some fear that I could feel in the air. 


Resigned, I chose one of the tables by the window, but because of the darkness, I couldn't see the lake anymore.


From the shade, a man wearing a white jacket emerged with a flip menu. My stomach started to talk and complaining, so I chose something that could help me: vegetable soup and risotto.

- Is there no one else staying here? I asked him.

- No, madam! Only you. He glanced at me with a question: What time will your friends arrive?


I realized that I didn't have the answer. We made some adjustments at the beginning of the trip, and we set up our meeting point in this hotel on the top of the mountain.


Because of the late hour, I agreed that maybe something happened, so I visualized my loneliness that night.


THE WAITING


After dinner, I decided to walk to the road, who knows I could see something, some lights or another signal.


The crunch under my feet followed my movements. I took a lantern, but it was weak and didn't help a lot. The wind was blowing, and the cold was affecting my body. There was no moon in the sky, so the dark blinded me. 


In my despair, I looked at my phone, and the signal was dead. A shout would not make any sense. The closest city was 37 miles away. For an instant, I perceived that maybe the taxi driver was right.


I looked again at the hotel, the fairy light was brightening, and I could see its immensity. The real fear assumed a form, and I remembered the Stanley Kubrick movie, The Shining. 


At that moment, it was me, the St. Bernard and Jack Nicholson.


Comentários

Postagens mais visitadas